Take Control of Your Future With the Help of Compassionate & Experienced Legal Counsel SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION

What to Do if Injured in A Hit and Run?

March 23, 2020

Being involved in a hit-and-run can be quite scary. What should you do? Who should you talk to? Do you need a lawyer? Most people don’t know what to do since this is not an every day or expected occurrence. The good news is we’re here to help. Keep reading to learn more.

Contact Your Local Police Department

First and foremost, you must call the police to report the hit-and-run. And, as shaky as you may feel, it is critical to give them as much information as you can recall about the vehicle that illegally left the scene. If you got the license plate number, even better. But, if not, try to remember specific details such as the make and model, any identifying markers such as scratches or a sticker. You need to do this because if the driver is eventually caught, you can file a personal injury claim with the help of Missoula accident attorney from Bulman, Jones & Cook.

Note Every Detail You Remember

If you are of sound mind and person, now is the time to write every detail you recall while your memory is still fresh. Again, this can include the make and model of the car, the color, license plate number (even the last few digits), how many doors the car had, bike rack, vanity tag, license plate state, any noises the car makes such as a loud muffler. Other details you might recall could include the gender of the driver, if the driver was smoking, the estimated age, if the driver has a beard or mustache, if anything was thrown out of of the car as it drove off from the scene. It’s critical to share this information with the police and your Montana car accident lawyer.

Accept Medical Attention

If you don’t have to immediately go to the hospital from the scene, you should still get a medical evaluation. If you have any symptoms, share them with your medical provider immediately. If you fail to do so, you could sabotage your personal injury claim.

File Your Insurance Claim

You should always file an insurance claim as soon as possible. It helps if you are covered for hit-and-run accidents. If you still can’t identify the driver, your insurance company may waive the deductible. Of course, it also helps to work with a Montana personal injury attorney to ensure you are fairly compensated for any and all injuries inflicted during the accident.